2014年1月13日月曜日

NDP tournée Singapour : After the Show... (ENGLISH)

NDP tournée Singapour (番外編) ~シンガポールNDP公演(出待ち)~ の英語版です。
日本語版はこちら

* Please note that I'm not a native English speaker so probably there will be errors here and there. The links below are written in Japanese but you can find photos and videos too. Hope you enjoy it!

The prime goal  for this trip was to see Richard Charest's Gringoire in the front row (I'm a fan of Richard Charest since I've known him in the Notre Dame de Paris Japan Tour 2013.) but in fact, I had another agenda: meet Richard to ask about his show "Rimbaud Musical", which is currently in the midst of production.

After watching his performance of Victor Hugo Gala Concert in Seoul back in May (he sang 2 songs from "Rimbaud"), I knew he was working hard on his musical project but I couldn't find a lot of information about it. I exchanged a few words with him about his musical via FB but it was still unclear for me. I was going off to Singapore anyway, so I thought it might be a great opportunity to ask him about it.


After watching the show on the second day, I walked up to the stage door not knowing what's going to happen. Just fingers crossed...

I was already a bit nervous by myself and what is more, on that day, it was raining, which just exasperated my anxiety.

And here I come, in front of the stage door... But nobody was there (this was totally unexpected...). Just silence.

5 minutes...

10 minutes...

Then, a girl (a dancer) came out of the stage door. What a relief. I didn't know her, but I was so amazed with the performance of dancers and acrobats, that I decided to talk to her, which needed a bit courage for a shy person like me.

"Hi! I loved your performance! Could you give me an autograph?"

She smiled a bit awkwardly (Probably because I made her surprised with my overwhelmingly positive tone of voice...). But kindly gave me an autograph.

After that, a number of dancers and acrobats came out of the stage door.
I  was a bit daunted but tried my best to talk to them and succeeded in obtaining some autographs. Some of them gave me a smile.


A few minutes later, Mr. Robert Marien came out of the door.
I should have thought about what I was going to talk, but all I could say was "Yesterday was quite unfortunate for you guys..." Such a pointless words and besides, it's grammatically incorrect. Pfff. Words always failed me especially when I met someone that I longed for seeing. What a shame.

Then again I said something really stupid.
"I came from Japan, and can I take a picture of you because some of your fans couldn't make it here."

He replied to me,
"Oh, you're sort of Japanese spokesperson!"
What a flattering comments. But all I was doing was just taking a picture...  I didn't deserve such a compliment.

It's quite stupid of me that I didn't tell him how much I loved his rendition of Frollo (for me the best!) and how much I was moved by his impressive performance on that day.

After taking a photo, he smiled to me and walked away in a very classy way.


I waited for other singers doing nothing, one of the dancers wearing the glasses (later I learned his name was Maciej) kindly talked to me.

He was actually an acrobat dancer. He remembered I was in the first row. I was a bit happy but at the same time a bit embarrassed. Again I asked him a very stupid question : "Do you climb up the bell?" Ahh... he is an acrobat. Definitely he does!!! And actually he does. He explained to me when he was on stage. (I realized how often I mixed up dancers and acrobats.)

I told him I came from Japan and he was also in the NDP Japan tour back in February and March.

"How many times did you see the show?"

For a moment, I hesitated to tell the truth. But anyway, I love the show... So

"Umm... actually 5 times in total, three times in Japan and twice here."

"You're crazy!"  YES! I KNOW!

"I just love this show..."

Then a few staffs came out of the door.

Exact a year ago, 18 December 2012, I went to Paris to see the French musical called "1789: Les Amants de la Bastille". And this show totally blew my mind. It was literally sensational.

A year later, season 2 of this musical has started, but too sadly there was a blast in the theatre and one of the technicians lost his life. Actually he once was in the NDP company and I learned that his brother was working in this Singapore tour.  So if I had a chance, I wanted to tell my sincerest condolence to him.

I walked up to one of the staff. "Excuse me..."
"Wow, we have the first fan here!"
I realized there was nobody asking for photos or autographs last night.

Anyway I continued talking.
"I'm looking for someone."
"But we're staff."
"It's alright, I'm looking for Mr. Toledano. I went to Paris..."
"Ah, Frankie, He's coming soon, definitely."

But unfortunately, I forgot to check what Mr. Toledano looked like and I failed to see him.

I was a bit worried about the sound troubles which had happened on a previous day (premier night). So I asked about it to him.
He explained that only the fuse of Singers' microphones have blown out. "It's all their (theatre's) fault. There's nothing we can do."

I thought the troupe was a bit disappointed with what had happened on the premiere night but actually they dealt with the accident much more calmly than I had expected. They were more like "it-happens-all-the-time" attitude. Come to think of it, some of the casts and crews have long been engaged in this show (For instance, Matt and Richard have been in this show for about 15 years!) so probably "accident" is part of their lives.

It seemed like they hadn't seen the brochure of Singapore tour yet so I showed it to them. They were happy to find their own names on it.

After that, I have seen Alessandra coming out of the door, but I wasn't really sure it was her and I missed opportunity to talk to her. What a shame...

The dancers and staffs got on the bus altogether and left from the theatre.

Then Matt, Elicia, Miriam and Anthony(dancer) came out together.
When I watched the show in Tokyo, I failed to see the female casts. So actually this was the first time to talk to them in person. They were astonishingly beautiful (it might be because they were on the way to the party on that day.). OMG, it's a girl crush.



For autograph, I tried to find the page that each person was on but I was so clumsy that I couldn't find it quickly. But they kindly helped me to find the page. How sweet they were <3

On the disastrous premiere night, I tweeted to Matt and Richard to try to cheer them up. I told Matt about it. Again I uttered some weired English but he remembered my tweet anyway.

"Ah.. you sent that message! Thank you so much and thank you for coming to the show!"
With that familiar sparkling smile...

I was all alone (I mean as a fan) and it was raining and besides my English sucks, so I felt pretty much miserable at this time. But once I saw his smile... it all melted away and it really warms my heart...

I believed I exchanged a few words more with Matt but I was overjoyed with the encounter and I couldn't remember what I was saying. Such an idiot. But I clearly remember how generous he was.


I took a photo with my super reliable OMD and the above was the result. They are amazingly beautiful!


Then oh man, here comes Richard.

I talked with him back in May at Victor Hugo gala concert but it was such a chaos that I believed that he might not recognize me. So I said "C'est moi, xxx (my name).". (I prepared some French phrases but looking back this is the only French word that I uttered. zut.) .

"Oui."  He said without any expression.
Did I say something wrong?? I became a bit nervous again... But anyway, I have a mission here!

"Are you busy between the tour and preparation for your project Rimbaud?"

"Ah... we had a press interview today and we're going to French school tomorrow. How are YOU?"
I know it's a customary question but I didn't expect that he asked me a question and all I could say was...

"Great!" Yeah, I felt great (cause I could see Gringoire played by Richard from the front row) but so cliched answer. ..

Then I tried to move on to my "list" of my questions about his upcoming musical "Rimbaud".

I actually sent a message to him in advance if I could see him after the show, I would like to ask a few questions about his musical. So probably he knew why I was there.

"As there is not so much information about "Rimbaud", can I ask you a few questions?"

"Umm...Do you really want to do this now? Because we're going to have a party tonight and I don't have much time. Are you coming to see the show tomorrow?"

It's a bit hilarious that he assumed that I would watch the show more than once, but unfortunately I was supposed to leave Singapore the next day.

"I can't. I have to leave Singapore tomorrow."
"So can you send it by e-mail? Will that be better for you?"

Well... I can, but I came here to ask you about Rimbaud in person... I can do that in Japan if it's via e-mail, you know...

But of course, I can't say this to him because "after-the-show" thing is totally optional.
I shouldn't be too demanding.
So...

"Alright. I'm gonna do it. But I have 4 or 5 questions. Is that OK for you?"
"Sure, no problem."
"Sorry to bother you."
"Oh, no. It's OK."
I was a bit relieved that he didn't seem to be bothered by my favor.

So anyway I managed to succeed in asking questions (in a different form that I had expected though.).

I took a photo with Richard, Matt and Elicia, which was quite nice.

On this day, Richard was very quiet somehow (probably he was just tired... but it was far from the image of super comical "Ricky Ping") but he was extremely generous and kind as usual.


I returned to the hostel in the middle of night with mixed feelings of joy and disappointment.
In one way I was soooo lucky to see the casts and crews even though they had a party on that day, but on the other way, I totally failed to do one of my prime missions of this trip.

The next morning, I thought there might be a chance to talk to him again before the show (My flight was scheduled to take off  at midnight and have certain amount of free time left.). But I knew the troupe was going to French school, so chances seemed to be quite slim. But anyway it's better than doing nothing. So I decided to go to MBS again in the afternoon.

Before going to MBS, I dropped by St Andrew's Cathedral. The pure white facade caught my eye when I was on my way back to the hostel on the previous night. I'm not particularly religious person, but whenever I travel, somehow I always go to the church or temple. This time too, I prayed.


After that I went around some touristic sites and  returned to the Marina Bay Sands.

Then miracle (it might be exaggerated but...) happened.
I met Richard.

He was in a hurry for preparation for the show, but he was kind enough to give an autograph on my beloved i pod touch.


I knew it was kind of inappropriate, but I couldn't give up asking a question...

"I just wanna ask a quick question. When will the Asian tour of "Rimbaud" start?"
"It hasn't decided yet, we're going to have a meeting in January. But it's supposed to start from Shanghai. I'm gonna tell you once it's decided."
He smiled a little (Probably I looked so desperate...) .

Ouf. Anyway I succeeded in asking one question.

"I have to go now because I have to prepare for the show, wearing wig and... you know. And please send the list!"

I didn't expect he would talk about my "list", so his remark was quite surprising but really sweet.
I'm always impressed with his generosity but this time, I was especially moved by his kindness.

It was really magical and priceless moments.

After returning to Japan, I sent a "thank you" note to each cast with the photo. They kindly replied to me. What nice people they are...


Singapour, je t'aime...
Et merci pour tout, l'équipe NDP!!!


0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿