2015年3月15日日曜日

Petite interview with... Richard Charest (Part 1) @ Seoul (ENGLISH) - Notre Dame de Paris Tour 2015


*日本語版はこちらです。
Photo Credit: Binna (thank you for the beautiful photos!)
Merci Richard!

At the end of February, I was lucky enough to watch the show Notre Dame de Paris in Seoul, which was the 10th anniversary tour in South Korea. I have already watched the show in English in Japan and Singapore. But this time, it was a French original version and as a learner of French language, and the one who falls in love with this language, I was absolutely excited at the return of the original version. And as a fan of Richard, I couldn't wait to see him singing in French with that famous blue coat (and the wig!).

And the show was stunning. I had never thought that the difference of the language influenced the impression of the show that much. I would say it's a "different show". When I saw the English version, sometimes I was irritated with the clumsiness of the translation (For example, "Asile" -> "Asylum", "Fatalité"-> "Oh destiny" etc...  As a translator, I know that there must have been a immense hard work, but even so, I couldn't hold my desire to watch the show in original French language...) but the French version was more natural, emotional and powerful. It was as if the songs and melodies penetrated through my body and the emotion reached my heart like water. Sometimes I couldn't hold my tears (Ave Maria Païen was hauntingly beautiful in French.). I was literally immersed in the world of Notre Dame de Paris and felt like I was one of the witnesses of this tragic but beautiful story.

Moreover, it's probably because of the nature of the French language, but the philosophical theme of this musical  (especially the aspect of "Fatalité (fate/destiny)")  stood out in original version, I guess. As you may have seen this musical, one of the virtues and particular aspects of this musical is numerous philosophical questions which are intricately woven into the musical. And in this French original version, I guess such aspect was more accentuated and I could appreciate the profoundness of this musical more clearly.    

So this show reminds me once again that the songs and the lyrics are inseparable and this unification does really matter after all. I posted the pictures in other articles so if you're interested, please see here and here

I saw Richard's performance in the first row and I absolutely loved his performance. His voice was splended in "Le Temps des Cathédrales" and I was immediately drawn to the "Blue World" of Notre Dame de Paris. But his "Fatalité" was especially memorable for me. This song is very short but it summarizes the whole theme of this musical: we all are in the hand of fate. In fact I couldn't help thinking about my own fate or destiny (I know it's a bit exaggerated but...) that brings me this far, which I couldn't imagine a few years ago. But I was really grateful that I could reach this point. So in a lot of senses, I was full of emotions during the show.

After the show, I had a chance to talk with Richard. He plays the role of Gringoire in this tour, but actually he has played the role of  Phœbus and Gringoire more than 10 years. And in this tour, he celebrated his 700th performance in Notre Dame de Paris. So I asked a few questions about his carrer in Notre Dame de Paris and the two characters that he has played. 

I added French script (thank you, my friend A for correcting my poor French!), but there might be mistakes here and there. And my English translation is not perfect but hope you enjoy it!

And lastly, thank you always for your kindness, Richard!

*******************************

- Félicitations pour votre 700eme représentation à Notre Dame de Paris! Vous avez joué deux rôles, notamment Phœbus et Gringoire, mais quelle est la différence entres les deux rôles? Ou qu'est-ce que vous aimez par rapport a ces deux rôles?  

- Congratulations on your 700th performance in Notre Dame de Paris! You played two roles, notably, Phœbus and Gringoire, however, what are the differences between these two roles? And what do you love about these roles?

Photo Credit: Binna
He patiently tried to "decode" my poor French... 
(Sorry, I abruptly started my recording, so the conversation started in a very odd way... but Richard started to talk about his first role: Phœbus. )

R : ...j'ai beaucoup aimé le côté meneur d'homme, leader ou chef voilà, celui qui arrive...et qui est assure d'absolument tout, qui ne doute de rien... jusqu'au moment où il croise et regarde Esmeralda et là tout son univers....là je suis plus sur de rien. Ça j'aime beaucoup cette partie-là de Phœbus. Forcement chanter « Déchiré », « Belle »... c'est des grands morceaux.   

R: … (Speaking of Phœbus,) I loved the aspect of being a leader or the head of the people. He is the one who is able to... who is assured of everything and has no doubts, until he comes across and looks at Esmeralda and her world... Then I'm (he is) no longer sure about anything. That is what I love about Phœbus. Inevitably, singing "Déchiré", "Belle"... those are the great songs.  

Mais Gringoire... la responsabilité d'être le narrateur, le fil rouge entre les scènes...d'expliquer aux gens « là il se passe ceci»... C'est un rôle qui est plus riche et les chansons, « Cathédrales », « Florence », ou « Lune »... c'est des chansons sublimes. Et il a d'avantage d'interaction avec les danseurs et les acrobates. Phœbus est un petit peu... à part les soldats...   

But for Gringoire... (I love) the responsibility to be a narrator and the conductor (guide) between the scenes... for explaining to the people what is going on here... It's the role that is richer and the songs "(Le Temps des) Cathédrales", "Florence" or "Lune"... Those songs are sublime. And he has an advantage of interaction with the dancers and the acrobats.  Phœbus is a little bit... apart from the soldiers...   

- Il y a des scènes de danse...  

- There are dance sequences... 

R : Voilà ! Un petit plus de scènes comme ça, donc je trouve... un peu c'est pour ça, c'est la raison pour laquelle j'ai voulu changer, je le trouve un peu plus riche et plus intéressant.   

R: That's right! A little bit more scenes like that, so I think that's why, that's the reason why I wanted to change it, and I find it a little bit richer and more interesting.

- Vous avez joué les rôles beaucoup de fois, mais il y a une évolution ou changement dans ces rôles ?  

- You played the roles many times but is there any evolution or change in these roles?

R : Oui, l'évolution, elle est toute naturelle entre le moment où on apprend le rôle et on commence à se familiariser avec les déplacement et avec les chansons et tout. Moi, j'ai bien aimé dans l'évolution de Phœbus... J'ai pris les cents premières représentations pour me rassurer, pour me dire "Ah oue, je peux le faire dans toutes les situations", parce qu'au début on chante on est fatigué, on chante on est malade, on chante on n'a trop mangé, pas assez mangé, on a trop dormi... Etre chanteur de comédie musicale c'est se réveiller le matin, et voir "bon ok, je suis dans cet état la, qu'est que ça va donner ce soir sur scène", parce qu'on est jamais dans le même état d'esprit, dans le même et physique et... la première centaine de représentations a servi à me rassurer, a me dire "Bon ok, ça va aller."   

R: Yes, evolution is very natural between the moment when you understand the role (just in your head) and when you start to be familiar with the movement and the songs and everything. I loved the evolution in the Phœbus. I took the first 100 performances for assuring myself, saying to myself "Ah, I can play it in any situation." because at first, you sing, you're tired and you sing, you become ill and you sing, you eat too much or not enough, you sleep too much... Being a musical singer is like getting up in the morning and see, "OK, I'm in this condition, so what am I going to do on stage tonight?" because you will never be in the same mental or physical condition... and the first hundred performances served me to assure myself, to say to myself "OK, it's going to be alright."  

La deuxième centaine, là c'était chanter très très fort... et pour le moment celle que j'ai le plus apprécié c'est à partir du moment ou j'étais rendu à trois cent représentations, j'ai commencé à nuancer d'avantage... J'ai évité de hurler ou de chanter très fort pour rien quand c'était pas nécessaire. Donc c'était plus agréable cette partie-là, la deuxième partie.   

From the 200th to 300th performance, I sang at the top of my lung (laugh). It was from the time when  I achieved 300th performance that I could appreciate (the role) more profoundly. I started to add more nuances. I avoided singing loudly when it's not necessary. So I was more confortable in this part, the second part.
 

Photo Credit: Binna

Alors que Gringoire j'ai tout de suite aimé le rôle, j'ai tout de suite aimé ce que je pouvais faire, il y a tellement d'interaction avec les autres comédiens, les chanteurs, que chaque spectacle est un peu différent parce que si on est, euh...  

On the other hand, for Gringoire, I came to love this role and what I could do (with this role) right away, there are so many interactions with other actors, singers, that every show is a little bit different. Because if you...    



Richard playing Gringoire in 2015 (Seoul)

Phœbus est très souvent tout seul quand il chante, et quand il est seul, bah, il y a pas 50 façons de faire les gestes... par exemple, pour « Déchiré », il est tout seul, « Je reviens ver toi », c'est pareil, rejoindrant Fleur de Lys mais... « L'ombre », il est tout seul, il y a beaucoup de chansons il se retrouve complètement seul... 

Phœbus is very often alone when he sings, and when he sings he is alone, well, there are not 50 ways to do the gestures... For example,  Déchiré, he is alone, Je reviens ver toi, it's almost the same, Fleur de Lys will join but... L'ombre, again he is alone. There are many songs that he found himself completely alone. 

Gringoire a beaucoup plus d'interaction, donc la réaction de l'autre chanteur modifie la façon de jouer parce que, euh..."ah il a fait ça ce soir, il a fait ça, bon je réagis comment?"... donc c'est plus intéressant.  

Gringoire interacts much more, so the reaction of the other singer modifies the way of playing, because uh... "tonight, he plays like this, so how should I react to it?" so, it's more interesting. 

- Il y'a des éléments improvisés?  

- Is  there any element of improvisation? 

R : Des fois, si il y a des problèmes techniques, si il y a des problèmes de costume, de truc, etc... il faut ajuster un petit peu ce qui se passe... si sur la face très glissante et qu'on perd l'équilibre, il faut l'adapter tout ça, donc...euh, il y a un petit peu, pas beaucoup. Mais un petit peu d'improvisation. Bon, pas tellement, parce que c'est quand même un spectacle qui est calibré…

R: From time to time, if there are technical problems or problems of costumes or like that. We have to adjust a little bit along with what is happening... if the stage is very slippery and we lose balance, we have to adapt ourselves. So, there is a little bit improvisation, but not a lot. But a bit of improvisation. Well not exactly, because the show is regulated after all. 

- Quel est le meilleur souvenir depuis le début de Notre Dame de Paris?

- What is the best memory in your career in the Notre Dame de Paris?

R : Bah, un des meilleurs souvenirs que j'ai par rapport à Gringoire, c'est ici, il y a 10 ans.

R: Well, one of the best memories in relation to Gringoire is, here, 10 years ago.

- La première fois?

- The first time?

R : La première fois, c'était, c'était...et la réaction des gens était tellement forte qu'on ne peut pas oublier, c'était tellement fort et émouvant que ça a changé... ça a tout changé, la dynamique de ma présence dans Notre Dame. J'ai de très très beau souvenirs par rapport à Pœbus, mais c'est plus des lieus on chantait à Beyrouth ou au Liban, on chantait des symphoniques à Montréal... c'est plus des lieus comme ça. Alors que Gringoire, ça a été la rencontre d'un personnage avec une ville ou un pays et la réaction des gens et tout ça donc voilà!

R: The first time, it was... the reaction of the people was so strong that I cannot forget about it. It was so strong and moving that it changed everything... It changed everything, my dynamic presence in the Notre Dame de Paris. I have very very beautiful memories in relation to Pœbus, but it's more about the places we sang, like in Beirut or Lebanon, we sang in Montreal... It was more like the places like that. On the other hand, concerning Gringore, it was the meeting with the city and the country through the role and the reaction with the people!  

- J'ai lu un article sur vous (*) et c'est vrai qu'au début vous avez auditionné pour le rôle de Frollo?! C'était marrant !

-I read the article about your career (*)but at first you applied for the audition of the role of Frollo?! That was a bit funny! 

R : Je pensais que... ouais... physiquement j'avais pas le rôle... Je pensais que le rôle de Phœbus était trop haut, le rôle de Gringoire aussi, c'était trop haut pour ma voix, donc les mélodies étaient trop hautes. Alors je me suis dit je vais essayer le rôle de Frollo qui est un peu plus bas, avec des notes plus basses, et moi ca me convenait d'avantage. Et forcément, bah quand j'ai rencontré Plamondon, il a pas était questions de Frollo du tout... Des qu'il est arrive dans la pièce tout suite il a dit "ah c'est Phoebus". C'est lui qui m'a demandé de faire Phœbus parce que il est arrivé dans la pièce et il m'a regardé et il m'a dit "ah mais c'est Pœbus!" "Et j'ai fait bah…oui...oui (rire)". Donc après je me suis pas posé de question et puis au final, j'ai adapté ma voix un petit peu, c'est-à-dire que ça demande peut-être plus d'efforts parce que les chansons sont difficiles à faire, mais c'est un tel plaisir que si c'était trop facile, je pense que j'aurais arrêté Notre Dame...

R: I thought that, well, I knew that physically I wasn't fit to the role... but  I thought that (the note for) the role of Phœbus was too high and the role of Gringoire too. They were too high for my voice, the melody was too high. So I said to myself that I was going to try for the role of Frollo, which is lower, the notes are lower, and I thought that it would serve me as the advantage. And inevitably, I met Plamondon (*Composer of the Notre Dame de Paris), and he didn't ask anything about Frollo. As soon as he arrived at the room, he immediately said "it's Phœbus!". It was he that asked me to play the role. (Laughing ) "Well... I'll do it... yes, yes... "  So without thinking too much (I took the role), and in the end, I adapted my voice a little bit, which means it needs perhaps more efforts because the songs are difficult to do, but it was such a pleasure that if it was too easy, I would have stopped (being a part of) Notre Dame de Paris.

- Même si vous avez commencé votre carrière dans Notre Dame de Paris en jouant Phœbus, à ce moment-là, est-ce que vous aviez l'envie de jouer le rôle de Gringoire un jour?

- Even though at first you started your carrer in the Notre Dame de Paris as Phœbus, did you already have an ambition to play the role of Gringoire one day?

R: Au début quand j'ai commencé Phœbus, j'étais très très concentré sur mon rôle parce que je me disais c'est soir après soir a chanter. Quand j'ai réussi la première centaine de spectacles, après j'ai commencé à être un peu plus détendu, et là je regardais Gringoire, et je me disais "ah, moi je ferais ça si j'avais le rôle (rire)  "et très très tôt j'ai commencé à réfléchir à ça, et l'opportunité juste avant la tournée asiatique, je suis allé voir la production, je lui ai dit euh... j'aimerais bien jouer le rôle et ils ont accepté... donc c'était tant mieux pour moi, parce que j'ai eu tellement de plaisir, et je continue à en avoir, tellement de plaisir sur scène.

R: When I started to play Phœbus, I was very very concentrated on my role because I thought I had to sing night after night. When I succeeded in the first 100 performances, and after that I started to become more relaxed, and at that moment, I looked at Gringoire wondering, "Ah, if I got the role...I would do this way... (laugh)". I started to think about it at a very early stage. And just before the Asian tour, the opportunity (came) and I went to see the production and I said to him that I would like to play the role and they accepted it. So it was very lucky for me. Because I was really pleased that I could continue to be on stage.  

- Donc l'interaction avec les autres comédiens, ça vous intéresse ?

- So... is it interesting for you to have interactions with other actors?

R : Oui, parce que mes moments préférés sur la scène, c'est « Belle ». Je chante pas. Je suis simplement là, je suis témoin de l'action, et après j'essaie de comprendre "ah, oui il est amoureux d'elle, très bien! Ah, il y en a un deuxième qui est amoureux, et un troisième, oh la la! (rire) ." Ça c'est le genre de chose que j'aime faire. C'est pas nécessairement des scènes où on chante et j'essaie de meubler un peu mes déplacements et tout ça pour euh... Je considère que les gens à chaque fois qu'ils voient Gringoire sur la scène, c'est surtout Gringoire je faisais, c'est une référence par rapport à l'histoire puisque c'est le narrateur.  À chaque fois qu'ils me regardent. Même si je chante pas il faut que j'envoie l'attention là où il y'a des choses qui se passent. Alors je me sens responsable et donc des fois c'était juste "oh qu'est qui se passe par là-bas, et les gens..." moi je sens que s'il y des gens qui me regardent,  ils vont regarder là,  alors je fais mon métier de narrateur. Voilà.  

R: Yes, because my favorite moments on stage are actually "Belle". I don't sing. I'm simply there and I witness the action and after that, I try to understand: "Ah, he falls in love with her, well done! Ah the second one also falls in love with her... and the third one... Oh my god! (laugh)". That is the sort of thing that I love doing. It's not necessarily the scenes where I sing and I tried to keep the audience interested with my action. I consider that every time the audience see Gringore on stage, especially Gringoire that I played, he is regarded as the reference (guide) to the story.  Even if I don't sing, I have to pay attention to what is going on. So I feel that I have a responsibility,  so at times it was just (explaining) what's going on there and the people... but I feel that if there are people who look at me, and they are going to look out there, I will do my job as a narrator.      

***Before talking with Richard, I have never thought about the role of Gringoire in "Belle", but watching this scene remembering his talk, this scene looked completely different. This scene reminds me of the uniqueness of the role of Gringoire in this show. He is not a hero, or villain but he appears almost everywhere and works as the intermediary in the story. Without him, this story doesn't exist.***

- Quelle est la particularité de votre version de Gringoire par rapport aux autres comédiens qui jouent Gringoire?

- Is there any particular element in your Gringoire compared to Gringoires that other singers played?  

R : Moi j'y ai ajouté un petit peu de légèreté... d'humour et de charme... et d'insouciance peut-être un petit peu, donc des fois il est un peu surpris de ce qui se passe, des fois effrayé, des fois.... c'est ce que j'avais lu... quand j'ai lu le roman de Notre Dame de Paris, j'ai un souvenir très fort du personnage de Gringoire qui me faisait rire. Quand on lit le roman, parce qu'il est peu heureux, parce qu'il était effrayé, parce ce qu'il essaie mais ça ne fonctionne pas, il aimerait être reconnu comme poète mais il est pas très très bon non plus, alors ça je... la première fois que j'ai vu Notre Dame de Paris, je le sentais pas dans le spectacle parce que c'était très sérieux et très.... comme ça, et moi je me suis dit des que je vais avoir l'occasion de le faire je vais ajouter un petit peu ces touches-là d'humeur et de légèreté. Donc ça j'ai impression que c'est... voilà ça c'est ma touche, a moi. Les autres ils font ce qu'ils veulent...c'est... moi je tenais à apporter cette petite partie là donc...

R: I added a little bit of lightness, humor and the charm... and a bit of idleness perhaps. So he is sometimes surprised at what is happening (around him), and at times he got intimidated... That's what I read in the book. When I read the novel of Notre Dame de Paris, I remembered very well that the personage of Gringoire made me laugh. Because when I read the novel, he was less fortunate and he tried (many things) but it doesn't work out well, besides he would love to be recognized as a great poet but he wasn't that good anyway (laugh)...  For the first time I saw the Notre Dame de Paris, I didn't feel that element in the musical because it was too serious... so I said to myself that if I would have an opportunity to play that role, I would add a little bit this kind of touch of humor and the lightness. So, that is my touch, mine. Others do whatever they want to do but I try to bring this element...
 

Richahrd in his role of Gringoire at Sejong Centre in Seoul

- Est-ce que vous avez eu peur quand vous avez eu les rôles des grands chanteurs comme Bruno Pelletier ou Patrick Fiori?

- Was there any fear to inherit the role from the great singers like Bruno Pelletier ou Patrick Fiori? 

R : C'est beaucoup de pression, parce que de toutes façons, Garou, Patrick Fiori, Bruno, Daniel Lavoie... a partir du moment où on arrive après eux, on est tout suite comparé mais plutôt que c'est plus...c'est plus de la pression c'est devenue une inspiration plus qu'autre chose. Bruno, j'ai un respect immense pour ce qu'il fait, c'est un ami je, je... il a une voix exceptionnelle ... il y'a très peu de chanteurs français qui ont ces voix la, et moi j'ai apporte autre chose, probablement dans la narration, dans l'histoire. Moi ce qui m'intéresse, c'est de bien amener les chansons,  bien sûr mais l'histoire... c'est l'histoire qui compte donc... Voilà!

R: It was a big pressure, because in every aspect, Garou, Patrick Fiori, Bruno, Daniel Lavoie... ever since when we came after them, we are compared with them right away. But it was more like... it was more than a pressure... eventually the pressure became an inspiration more than anything. Bruno, I have an immense respect for him, and he is a friend... he has an exceptional voice... there are very few francophone singers who have that voice, so I brought other things, probably in the narration or in the story. What is interesting for me is bringing the songs, for sure, but the story, that really counts, so, voila!  

After the show...
Richard smiling at the book of Rimbaud, a gift from the fan.

I did another "petite interview"with Richard, and hopefully I can post this one too...
To be continued...
Second part is here.


0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿